Spike Downes, faculty original

In the fall of 1950, the first alumni sons entered the School: Bill Elwell ‘54, son of William P. Elwell ‘27, in Form II and yours truly in grade 5. By then, there remained only three teachers who had served under Dr. Howe: Finch Keller, Charlie Jenney and Angelo...

Bill Barker, first Director of the Lower School

Dr. and Mrs. Howe were married in the fall of 1904. Mrs. Howe’s father had died the previous year, and the youngest of her six siblings, William Torrey Barker, Jr., was not yet ten. Not surprisingly, then, the young couple soon found themselves supervisors of a...

Naming of Howe House

The Melvoin Building that now houses the Middle School replaced the Howe Building, which opened in the fall of 1957 but after a half century of service proved of a design and construction type that no longer permitted rehabilitation in a manner consistent with the...